Ice cave tour under a volcano in Iceland
About the Ice cave tour
The tour will start from Vík (approximately 2.5 hours from Reykjavik) where you will join everyone in a huge Super Jeep for the exciting day ahead.
The drive starts on the famous road 1 but soon we will make a turn to what seems like a no man’s land. There we will descend to the mountains with enchanting glaciers and mountains surrounding us the whole time. The Super jeep has no problem taking on the rough and rugged road but the drive is exciting none the less. We will come to a stop right at the roots of Kötlujökull glacier and the view that greets you is otherworldly, layers and layers of different colored ice making beautiful stripes in the glacier and at one point an opening in the glacier and that’s where you are going in. Your guide will tell you all about the history of the glacier, the ice cave and the area around it making the tour educating and exciting all at once.
When we are back out from the glacier we will walk around and see if any smaller ice caves are accessible before returning back to our super truck. The drive back is an amazing one and in winter time the sun will start to sit behind the mountains creating a magical wintery sunset. Make sure to bring your camera!
About the scenario
Katla Volcano and Myrdalsjokull glacier combined their forces and made the most amazing ice cave!
Mýrdalsjökull glacier is one of the best-known glaciers in Iceland, it feeds the glacier hiking paradise, Sólheimajökull, and from it the alluring Kötlujökull originates. Kötlujökull is named after the robust Icelandic Volcano Katla and is home to some of Iceland’s most impressive natural ice caves. On this exhilarating Super Jeep tour, you will get to explore the wonders of this stunning natural phenomenon. You will see why as soon as you step in!
- Small Group Experience
- Scenic Super Jeep Ride
- View Over Myrdalsjokull
- Visiting a Natural Ice Cave
- Epic Landscapes
- Expert Info on the Ice Cave
- Tour type: Caving
- Season: All year
- Tour duration: About 3 hours
- Meeting point: The Katla Icecave tour departs from The Ice Cave Bistro/ Restaurant in Vík. By the entrance at the back of the building, you will be able to find our guide holding an “Arctic Adventures” sign or standing by a super jeep marked with an Arctic Adventures sign in the window.
- Meeting time: 15 minutes prior to tour departure
- Guided in: English
- Group size: Max 14 persons per guide
- Age limit: 6 years old
- Requirements: No requirements. This tour is rated easy, which means that it is suitible for most people in fair condition
Tour ID: The Ice Cave Under The Volcano - Katla Icecave Tour From Vík
- Super Jeep Ride
- Visit to a Natural Ice Cave
- Crampons for Walking on Ice
- All Required Safety Equipment
- English Speaking Licensed Adventure Guide
- Food and beverage
- Transfer from Reykjavik. Please meet on location.