Lava tunnel near Reykjavik: Extreme tour
from ISK 9.950
Our extreme tour into the lava tunnel near Reykjavik is for the adventure seeker. The tur takes as much as 3-4 hours inside the cave, hiking over rough terrain.
Area30km from Reykjavik
About the Lava tunnel near Reykjavik: Extreme tour
Our extreme tour into the lava tunnel in Iceland is for the adventurous. This activity in Iceland takes you all the way to the end of the tunnel where great lava waterfalls and other natural sculptures await. Truly an unforgettable experience.
The lava tunnel at Raufarhólshellir near Reykjavik was created by the volcanic eruption Leitahraun about 5200 years ago. The tunnel is the longest and most famous lava tunnel in Iceland. The lava tunnel is impressive 1360 meters long. The main tunnel, which we use, is 900 meters long. On our extreme tour we go all the way to the bottom of the main tunnel. See our "Lava tunnel in Iceland: classic tour" for a shorter and easier trip.
- Tour type: Caving
- Season: All year
- Tour duration: 3-4 hours
- Total duration (incl. transfer from/to Reykjavik): approx. 5 hours
- Guided in: English
- Pick up time: You will be picked up approximately 30 minutes before the activity starts. If you want to meet up at location, please follow this link or see the map on the page. The tunnel is approximately 30 km from Reykjavik in the direction of southern Iceland. Meet about 15 minutes before the activity starts.
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Requirements: Demanding level. Is not recommended for people with back, knee or other health issues
Tour ID: 1020 - Extreme Lava Tunnel Tour
What is included in this tour? Items that are included in the cost of tour price.
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation in Reykjavik
- Guided tour in the lava tunnel (approx. 3-4 hours)
What is not included in this tour? Items that are not included in the cost of tour price.
- Food and bevarage (if desired you can bring light snack or drink in a small back pack)
No, it is not for everyone. You need to be in good physical shape and be able to walk through rough terrain with big boulders without a difficulty. You need to have a good balance and generally we recommend the extreme tour only for people in good physical conditions and we do not recommend it for those with back or knee issues. The age limit is 12 years old for the extreme tour.
There is not floating lava in the cave, otherwise it wouldn´t be possible to enter it. However, you will clearly see the path were the lava once floated, about 5.200 years ago. Fun fact: On average, fresh lava can be between 1,300° F and 2,200° F (700° and 1,200° C).
For this tour we recommend you to dress for the weather condition. We recommend: 1. Thermal underwear 2. Warm sweater 3. Windproof jacket 4. Sturdy shoes Link to the complete packing list: https://icetour.is/what-to-pack-when-going-to-iceland/