About the Horseback riding in Iceland – Between the mountains
On this day tour we discover the beautiful landscape opening up between the volcanic mountains and the Atlantic ocean in southern Iceland. At first, we ride off on nice riding trails along our meadows. Since these trails are so well-kept, they are ideal for trying out the special gait of the Icelandic horse, tölt. Furthermore, we follow the river Gljúfurá to an ancient cemetery close to the mighty glacial river Ölfusá. Here, if the weather allows us, we will enjoy the panoramic view of the river delta and the famous volcanoes Hekla and Eyjafjallajökull. Later, a grassy path takes us further down to the soft, black lava sand on the river banks. Also we ride through shallow water to the green island Lambey. On our way, it is also very likely that we will see various species of birds living in the wetlands of the nearby bird sanctuary.
Soon we will stop for an outdoor lunch break before we proceed through farmland towards Mount Ingólfsfjall. This tablemountain got its name from the first settler of Iceland, Ingólfur Arnarson.
Furthermore, an old Viking path takes us along the mountain Reykjafjall, a mountain that is green and grassy in the summer. Accordingly, both sheep and horses graze here in the summertime. Returning to our farm, Vellir, we will experience a beautiful view of the surrounding area and the village of Hveragerði. Last, but not least, back at our farm we will be served coffee and delicious home-baked cake.
During the winter season, the tour is slightly different as the lunch is severed at the farm. We begin riding all the way down to the river banks. After that we return to our farm for steaming bowls of traditional Icelandic meat soup. After lunch we continue our ride towards the mountains and then ride back home to the farm.
The tour is relying on suitable weather conditions, and can be re-routed.
- Tour type: Horseback riding
- Season: All year
- Tour duration: approx. 5-6 hours (riding distance approx 20 km.)
- Total duration (incl. transfer from/to Reykjavik): approx. 9 hours
- Pick up: In Reykjavik every day between 8:00-8:30
- Return to Reykjavík: Around 17:15
- Meeting time at horse farm: At 8:50 (please see the map on this page)
- Guided in: English
- Minimum age: 8 years
- Requirements: The tour is for everyone, but the participant should be in good physical shape
Note: If the weather does not allow us to ride the mountain, the route will be changed.
Tour ID: 5b – Below the Mountains
- Pick up and delivery at your accommondation in Reykjavik
- 5-6 hour horseback riding (approx. 20km)
- Helmet, rainwear/boots
- Lunch Box with sandwich, cookies and water bottle or meat soup during the winter season, special meals are available on request. (Please let us know if you are a vegetarian or have any allergies)
- Coffee / tea / hot chocolate and homemade cake after the trip
- Please read "Please note" underneath the Overview. The winter tour is sligtly different from the summer tour.