For a light weighted tour
Hiking in Iceland: Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork
About the Hiking in Iceland: Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork
If you want a multi-day hiking tour in Iceland – this is the tour we recommend. This particular hiking route is probably one of Icelands most famous treks, going from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork. During this journey you will experience the magical, diverse landscape in Iceland. Together with long bright summer days, it will capture your nature loving heart. Finally, we will celebrate this amazing adventure with BBQ the last night in Thorsmork.
And the rumors are true! The geothermal hotspots in Landmannalaugar, and the lush green landscape in Thorsmork, makes trekking in the southern highlands even more beautiful in real life than in pictures.
During this adventurous hike we will trek between vibrant yellow rhyolite mountains, cross over black sand deserts and last but not least, walk past majestic canyons. It is no coincidence that this route is a favorite among the locals as well as hikers from all over the world.
- Colorful mountains of Landmannalaugar
- Contrasts of black sand and green moss
- Knowledgeable, qualified guide
- Lush Green Valley of Thorsmork
- Light weighted hiking tour
- Tour type: Hiking: Trek from hut to hut with luggage transport
- Season: June - September
- Tour duration: 5 days, 4 nights
- Meeting point: BSI Bus terminal (Vatnsmýrarvegur, Reykjavík 101, IS)
- Meeting time: 07:15
- Guided in: English (French or German on some departures)
- Transport: Public bus
- Minimum age: 14 years
- Total walking distance: 56 km (35 mi)
- Walking per day: 4-7 hours
- Max. ascent: 600m (1900 ft)
- Accommondation: Mountain hut
- Group size: 6-16 participants
Tour ID: IMG31 5-Day Laugavegur Trek in Huts - Part 1
- Experienced and qualified guide
- Mountain hut sleeping bag accommodation in dormitories
- Transport at the beginning and end of trek
- Breakfast (4), Lunch (5), Dinner (4)
- Transfer of luggage
- Sleeping bag*
- Showers in huts (payable on site)
- Pick up/drop off from your accommodation in Reykjavík or nearest bus stop to Meeting point (BSI Bus terminal)*
- Accommondation in Reykjavik: one night before and one night after the tour*
* can be booked as extras in the booking engine
The trip starts by taking the public bus from BSI bus terminal at 08:00. During the summer months the bus drives by the mountain tracks that lead to Landmannalaugar before passing by the famous volcano Hekla and further volcanoes in the Domadalur area. Once we arrive Landmannalaugar at noon, we have lunch before we head south into the mountains. The trail takes us past small gorges, steaming hot springs and also yellow mountain ridges. Finally, in the late afternoon, we arrive at Hrafntinnusker mountain hut where we will stay the night.
We start the hike this morning descending from Hrafntinnusker down in the gullies of Jökultungur. Here we find hundreds of steaming hot springs and mud pools. Up there we enjoy fascinating views to the south to the Álftavatn area (Swan Lake), and the Mýrdalsjökull and Eyjafjallajökull glaciers.
We start todays hike passing at the foot of the green conic volcano of Stórasúla. Later we enter the black deserts of Mælifellssandur. Furthermore, we head towards another ancient and verdurous volcano named the Hattfell,
The next stop is the Emstrur region. In this area farmers used to graze their sheep in summer. We stay the night in the Botnar hut, but before we arrive here, we visit the magnificent Markarfljót canyon. This canyon is cut almost 200 m down into the rocks south of Hattfell.
On day 4 we continue our hilly hike, to the left and to the right, through the small valleys and gullies of Emstrur.
The powerfull Mýrdalsjökull glacier rises only a couple of kilometers away. The last part of todays hike lets us descend into Þórsmörk’s (“the woods of Thor”) green valleys. Þórsmörk is filled beautiful growths, such as arctic birch forests and colorful flowers. After arriving at the huts in Þórsmörk, we top off this amazing adventure with a barbecue!
First, we spend the morning in Þórsmörk where we hike along one of the numerous paths in this area. For instance, we can visit to the Sönghellir cave (“Song cave”) or climb up the small mountain of Valahnúkur. The last mentioned has a magnificent view.
Finally we take the afternoon bus to Reykjavík. Arrival at Reykjavik BSI bus terminal where the trip ends at 19:20.
All the mountain huts are heated, some have electricity and some have hot water. They have dormitori...